Monday, June 23, 2008

SURPRISE! Fran's in Latvia!

I bet that many of you were expecting my post today to be the first from 'on the ground' in Central Asia. Sadly, until last night I was expecting the same thing - but, defying all expectations I am writing today from Latvia. SURPRISE!

Owing to an unfortunate misreading of my (highly ambiguous) Air Baltic itinerary, it turns out that what I had thought was a 1 hour layover in Riga, is in fact a 25 hour layover. Ooops. I rushed off my half-hour late plane from Gatwick, rushed through passport control, grabbed my bag off the conveyor belt and ran upstairs to check in, convinced I would miss my flight, only to be told by rather bemused staff that the flight wasn't till tomorrow.

At this point it was 10:30pm in Riga, I had nowhere to stay and no idea where the airport was in relation to the rest of the city. Fortunately the lady at information booked me into a hotel and helped me get a taxi. So, apart from a substantial amount of dollars doing a magic vanishing act in the process of conversion to Latvian currency, and the rather austere, faceless ex-Soviet hotel I stayed in, everything worked out ok.

I took the bus in this morning to Old-Town Riga, where I am writing this. Now off to explore for a few hours before catching my 11pm flight (fingers crossed...) to Tashkent.

2 comments:

London Calling said...

Hi Fran...Latvia for 24 hours...better check rest of tickets, visas etc! Keep on posting PLeeeeze.

Molly said...

Once I got stuck in Indianapolis for like 8 hours. That's rather different from Latvia though.